Now, It's a Wonderful Life

The holidays are usually filled with visions of snow, families, Christmas morning, hot chocolate, presents and overall good times.

 For many years this was not the case for me.  Working retail means working holidays.  Thanksgiving meant going to bed early in oder to get up at 3:30 am to be at work for all of the CRAZY people who needed to shop at 5:00am.



 I couldn't go too far out of town, or even stay up visiting with family who were kind enough to come closer to me.  Christmas time was similar.  I thought people were supposed to be giving and kind and spread peace and joy. Not at the mall. People are mean greedy and give mostly dirty looks and complaints.  Everyone wanted a bargain (something I understand). But throwing an adult temper-tantrum is not the way to get one. I believe that the ugliest part of humanity is at its peak  in the mall around Christmas time.

Then there was the Christmas music. I have never been a huge fan of Christmas music, but I can tolerate it.  After nine hours a day for two months straight, I was more than over it.  I was definitely a Scrooge. I almost hated Christmas. It was not fun or peaceful or jolly.  I worked Christmas eve, I worked 5:00 am black Friday. And for what? FOR. WHAT. I am lucky enough to have most family close by, but what about those people who have family far away? It sucks to have to work Christmas eve, and come home to an empty house.

I have been out of the retail game a few years now and have started enjoying Christmas again. Even a little music is tolerable.  But the happiest day was the first year that I slept in the day after thanksgiving! It was glorious. No crowds, no yelling, no thirty foot piles of sweaters to fold and put away.  It was wonderful!

This year is particularly special because it will be Georgia's first Christmas.  She will only be six and a half months old, but it will make for some good pictures.  I have decided that we don't need to buy her any presents.  She doesn't really need any, and her grandparents, aunts and uncles will get her plenty.


So my days of being a Scrooge around Christmas and making people turn the Christmas music off, are coming to a close.  I just think it is funny that the store which is a Christmas icon, is the store that almost killed my Christmas spirit.  It was almost a catastrophe on 34th Street.

Comments

Popular Posts